1. Contact each moving company you plan on using and obtain a quote from each company. **Keep in mind the lowest price may not be the safest option.
2. Go over reviews from customers, speak with people who have used the company before, and pay close attention to the level of service you receive during your quoting stage.
3. Ensure the moving company is licensed and insured. You can do this by checking TxDMV - Texas Truck Stop. Be sure the company has an "Active" TxDMV certificate number on file.
4. Determine if the movers schedule coincides with your needs.
5. Make sure you read over the policies for the mover along with the rates, deposit policy, and cancellation policy.
6. Chose which company meets your needs for your move.
What do I do if I have a dispute about the charges or loss/damage to my goods?
1. You must first file a written claim within (90)days of your move. There must be enough information for us to investigate your claim along with any specific monetary amounts requested or other type of compensation you are seeking. **Please note, if we do not receive your claim within (90)days, your claim could be denied.
2. If the claim involves damaged goods, please preserve the containers along with the damaged goods for inspection.
3. Allow (20) days (excluding Sundays and nationally recognized holidays) for a written acknowledgement, unless the claim is resolved within 20 days.
4. Allow (90) days from receipt of claim for payment, decline to pay, or a firm settlement offer in writing to be sent. Inspections will occur within (30) days of receiving your initial claim.
Do I need an in-home moving estimate?
Generally, we can provide a moving estimate over the phone; however, we prefer to visit your home in person to provide you with an accurate, custom quote that will meet your needs.
Can you pack my items for me?
Absolutely! Actually we would love to assist you with your packing and organizational needs. We have trained professionals that are ready to make your next move your best move and provide a moving experience you will never forget!
How do MOVING MATE claims work?
If during your move or after your move you notice damage to an item, your home, or business, we ask that you contact our office immediately with information to begin the claim process. Although our movers take pride in preventing damages by utilizing padding, stretch wrapping, etc. damage still may occur and we will be happy to assist you with any claim that may arise.
I already have my items loaded into a truck or UHAUL, can you help me unload my items?
Absolutely! We understand that sometimes it may be difficult to find someone to assist you with unloading your items after you have them loaded into a truck. We will be glad to help you. Please keep in mind MOVING MATE is not responsible for any damage to any pre-loaded items.
What form of payment does MOVING MATE accept?
All major credit and debit cards are accepted. Additionally, we accept cashier checks and money orders. Please NO CASH OR PERSONAL CHECKS. Business checks will be accepted; however, there will be a $30 returned check fee in the event of a returned check.
How much does MOVING MATE charge for a move?
Our rates our hourly for local moves and by weight and miles for long-distance moves. We also have package deals that include packing services, organization services, and much more. Contact us for your custom quote and pricing information.
Is there a deposit? What happens if I need to cancel my move?
There is a deposit of $. If you have to cancel or reschedule, we ask that you let us know within 24 hours for local and 48 hours for residential.
Do I tip my movers?
As with any other service industry, you may tip your movers by offering a gratuity if they exceed your expectations. Keep in my that gratuity is not expected but appreciated. Average tips range between 10%-15% of the final bill; however, please feel free to tip what you feel is earned.
What is a travel fee and why am I being charged?
If you are moving over 25 miles, we charge a one time travel fee that is based on the total mileage you are moving. This is a flat fee that will be added to the total cost of your move.
What do I do on move day if I have pets?
Pets can become anxious or stressed during move day. Due to this, we ask that you find a pet-sitter or ensure your pet is in an empty closed room where they will be undisturbed.
Do I need to empty dressers, filing cabinets, etc. before the move?
Yes, to eliminate the risk of damage we ask that you remove all items from your dressers, filing cabinets, etc. prior to move day. If your dressers are not going up or down stairs it is generally okay to keep clothing inside.
Can I ride in the cab of the truck with the movers?
Unfortunately, we are unable to transport customers in our trucks due to liability reasons. If you need a ride between locations, we recommend asking a friend or arranging for a taxi or uber/lyft to pick you up.
What should I take with me on move day?
We ask that you take any cash/gift cards, prescription medication, important paperwork, and anything highly valuable or sentimental (jewelry, bank account information, etc.). On your moving day, place these items in a box or bag that you will carry with you to your new home.
Do I need to empty the refrigerator in order to move it?
Yes, for the protection of the fridge shelves we ask that you remove everything from the freezer or refrigerator.
Do you offer storage options?
We do not have our own storage facility; however, please contact our office and we will be delighted to assist you with your storage needs.
What items will not be moved by MOVING MATE?
We do not move drugs or drug paraphernalia; perishable items; items prohibited by law; weapons, explosives, flammable liquids, or anything that would otherwise put the safety of our movers, the truck, the customer, or the customer's belongings at risk. If you are unsure whether your items fall into the categories above, please give us a call.